Tuesday, May 01, 2007

The Horrors of Chance

I really can't even begin to be able to tell you about my current state of mind. I just got some grotesquely bizarre news. You may have heard about a shooting at a mall in Kansas City, MO. The sister of the shooter is a person I knew and worked with at times in KC. And, although the victims of the shooting were total strangers to the perpetrator, I knew one of those that was killed. Leslie Noble was a senior when I was a freshman at Blue Valley High School. Upon hearing her name, though I had not seen her in 15 years, I immediately recalled her face to mind. I remember how she dressed for debate tournaments. I remember how bright she was. I find myself regretting that I remember little else about her. I am moved by the role of chance in this tragedy and find myself awhirl in thoughts about my own life. I hate to be so selfish, but, perhaps, even a distant brush with death can change one's thinking. I need to process all of this...

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. Leslie Noble was my dear friend both in high school and at the time of her murder. Occasionally I google her name to see what people are saying about her...about the horrible day that she died. I think, sometimes, that I am hoping that she'll appear in one of the links; that she will materialize and will still be writing, working, doing, and I will find out it was all a mistake. But all I find when I google her are more people who knew her, loved her and are shocked by the reality of her death. If you want to remember more about Leslie, I'll be happy to remind you. She was marvelous in a thousand different ways...quirky, loving, sensitive, competitive, mind blowingly smart, and remarkably funny. I have a million stores that everyone should hear. And I know there are many more that I am waiting to hear. No one should ever forget her. I'm glad you didn't, whoever you are.

10/07/2007 11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home