Saturday, April 21, 2007

Hello from Sicksville

So I never got back to writing on here because I came down with the death flu on Sunday. I've been home all week, horribly ill. One time, I coughed so hard I threw up in my own nose! I know, TMI, but that is some serious pain, and I don't recommend it. Anyway, I'm on antibiotics for the deep chest cough, so I hope that either the meds or my own immune system will clear everything up soon. Which would be great, cause I'm sick of soup and just about ODed on water.

Anyway, lets see if I can't catch you up. I would have been working 44 hours this week if I hadn't been flattened by illness. I pretty much see 6-day weeks looming off to the horizon. I've started working with Luna, our tamandua (lesser anteater). She's awesome and has a huge personality. Here she is crawling over a log and checking out all the nooks and crannies for something to eat. You can't see that she has a long prehensile tail on the other side.



My parents just got back from an awesome trip. They spent a week in and around Cairo, a week on a Nile cruise, and a week in Jordan. They had a great time and felt very welcome. When I get some pictures, I'll post a couple. I'm a bit jealous. I would love to see all of the Egyptian sites, as well as Petra, in Jordan. However, I am very happy for my parents. They have a great time on all of their trips and meet all kinds of interesting people. I think the hardest thing for me is not talking to my Mom for weeks on end.

I recently read Total Recall, the novelization that combines the movie (which I just bought on DVD) and ideas from the original short story that inspired the movie (We Can Remember it for You Wholesale by Philip K. Dick). The basic script from the movie is in there, often scene for scene and word for word, until the second half where it deviates dramatically. Well, okay, the basic story is still intact, but a whole second story about the Mars ruins and Doug Hauser really adds a great deal of background and tension that I really enjoyed. Except, I think that this stuff would have bogged down the movie and decreased the tension. I think that visually, saving the red light district (since you have people dying right there on screen) has more personal impact than saving the whole solar system. It's just human nature...a disaster too big is too much to handle and we become distanced. On another note, F pointed out something funny while we were watching the movie. Arnold is the perfect choice for a movie where facial prosthetics are used because his face already looks like it is made of plastic!

Now I'm reading a book I started but never finished in high school called Daggerspell (Katherine Kerr). It's kind of a tale of Karma with a Celtic cultural base. Interesting so far, though I'm not racing through it. I've got two more James Bond books in the wings and recently did a quick reread of The Neverending Story by Michael Ende.

Okay, I'm going to take a quick lunch break now and come back with the rest of this entry.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home